Pearl S. Buck was one of those authors who always made me think. She wrote about life, culture, politics, human nature, philosophy, religion, and love. I’ve travelled with her through time to unknown lands and met many people from different walks of life. And my life has been changed as a result of her works.
Here are some of my favourite quotes from her that I would like to share with you. I hope it will bring some joy into your life as it did to mine.
- The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.
- Nothing in life is as good as the marriage of true minds between man and woman. As good? It is life itself.
- If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday.
- Love alone could waken love.
- A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.
- Some are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.
- To eat bread without hope is still slowly to starve to death.
- The bitterest creature under heaven is the wife who discovers that her husband’s bravery is only bravado, that his strength is only a uniform, that his power is but a gun in the hands of a fool.
- Growth itself contains the germ of happiness.
On the future:
- The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible – and achieve it, generation after generation.
- One faces the future with one’s past.
- Inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that is where I renew my springs that never dry up.
- To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth.
- I don’t wait for moods. You accomplish nothing if you do that. Your mind must know it has got to get down to work.
- The secret of joy in work is contained in one word – excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.
- To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart and a free mind.
- What is a neglected child? He is a child not planned for, not wanted. Neglect begins, therefore, before he is born.
- A man is educated and turned out to work. But a woman is educated and turned out to grass.
- When good people in any country cease their vigilance and struggle, then evil men prevail.
- The basic discovery about any people is the discovery of the relationship between men and women.
- None who have always been free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom to those who are not free.